Sign in to follow this  
Guest Michael K

First real job. I'd like y'all's advice on pricing.

Guest Michael K

Hi there,
Hope y'all are well. I wandered into a new LED light store in my town. When the owner learned I had a cnc, he was interested in setting up a little side business making acrylic neon flex led signs. Here's an example.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1189955...ign-room-decor

Since I had never machined plastic before, I told him that I would make him a sign that says 'Custom Neon Signs' for his store. I just charged the cost of the materials. All I do is make the file, etch where the neon flex needs to go with my diamond drag bit, and cut out the sign. He does all the neon flex work, soldering, etc in his shop.

A sheet of acrylic around here is $211. I need to drive about 25 minutes one way to get it. The cutting doesn't take very long and I'm getting faster at the vector work.

Our first job just came in. It's a quarter of a sheet. So material cost is $52.75. I'm thinking for me to get the material from Regal Plastics is $50, so let's say it's $100 for the material.

For making the file and cutting it out, I'm thinking another $200, so $300 all together.

Do y'all think this all sounds reasonable? I really appreciate your insight. I'm just a hobbyist.

many thanks and all the best

Posted (edited)

Love that you're collaborating with the new store owner on those acrylic neon signs – such a cool project. Checked out the example on Etsy, and it's rad!

As for your pricing, it seems pretty fair to me. Considering the cost of materials, your time, and the specialized skill you bring to the table, $300 for a quarter sheet job sounds reasonable. Plus, it's awesome that you're helping out a local business with your CNC magic. I'm sure your expertise will shine in the 'Custom Neon Signs' for his store. It could be useful to check sarkari info.

Edited by VenYamon

I've checked the link you shared, and I think you are going a bit below the price. Just check how much the people charge for the same job.

I think it's great that you're diving into this new venture. Pricing can be a bit tricky, especially when you're just starting out. Considering the cost of materials and your time, your estimate seems quite reasonable. You've factored in the material cost and the effort you put into creating the file and cutting it. It's important to value your skills and time, even as a hobbyist. If you ever decide to explore a new career path or expand your skills, you might want to check out this resource on phlebotomy training schools by state at https://phlebotomynearyou.com/by-state/. It could be an interesting option to consider. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this