Sign in to follow this  
Karmajuro

How to develop a positive attitude when getting stuck while learning math on your own?

Self-studying undergraduate-level mathematics, I frequently find myself getting stuck when trying to understand a theorem, proofs or even while doing a problem. Now usually I am able to navigate my way out of being stuck, and gain some understanding in the process, but I feel like I do not have the right mentality at all times to deal with such situations. It often happens that I find myself looking up the internet for the topic/problem at hand, and for example, when I look at math stackexchange for some of the responses to the same/similar problem as mine, I feel pretty insignificant upon finding that others are able to provide so much more insight while discussing the problem. That they are able to have such deep understanding makes me doubt my own level of competence with the subject. This leads to all kind of negative emotions that makes me ultimately question my decision to pursue mathematics in the first place.

How do you maintain a positive attitude when dealing with similar situations?

(For context, I’m self-studying the core undergraduate math curriculum in my country, with the aim of getting admitted into a master’s in pure math. I have a bachelors in engineering, and a masters in physics, but it was really during my physics master’s that I decided to pursue math seriously.)

Hi all! Stalling in math can happen to anyone, and you shouldn't blame yourself for it. Don't dwell on your failures. Mistakes are normal, and it just means you have an opportunity to learn something new and improve your skills. Find practical examples of math in everyday life. Mathematics is not just an abstract science; it is used everywhere, from finance to sports. Try approaching the study of math from a different perspective. For example, if you're stuck reading a textbook, try finding interactive video lessons or online courses. Regarding a recommendation, I would recommend the online school website link Brighterly. They offer quality math courses at different levels, ages, and proficiency levels.